Friday, October 14, 2011

What foods should I eat?

When I first wanted to eat healthy foods, I found that it was hard to think of foods to eat that are healthy. I could think of things that were really unhealthy, like fried foods, but I could only think of fruits and vegetables for healthy foods. Day after day I would eat fruit as a snack, but I got tired of that easily and resorted to unhealthy foods just because I didn’t know what else to eat. For people that want to be a vegetarian or a vegan, it is hard to start because you really don’t know many recipes that don’t contain meat. This compares to eating healthy. To solve this problem, I made a list of certain foods that I always have in my house or that I should keep in my house that are healthy, so when I am hungry I can quickly find something healthy to eat. I also wrote a list of foods that I would eat often that were not healthy at all and that I should only eat once in a while.
Here is my list that I started when I first started being healthy: 


EAT THIS
Kombucha
Green Tea
The honest tea
Shake station
DRINK LOTS OF WATER…it fills you up
Tea (without sugar/ milk)
Eat fruit for a snack         
Chicken
Fish
Lara bars/ Kind Bars
Brown rice (don’t eat too much, but it is a lot better than white rice!)
Healthy Smoothies (do not use much sugar)
Need fruit with skin (eat skin because it is filling)
Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (Margetti)
Herbal Tea
Sweet Potatoes-->no butter
Wheat Germ (goes great with 1 minute eggs!)
Lentil Soup
Oatmeal
Veggies-->Broccoli has lots of Vitamin C (more than oranges)
Beans
Yogurt
Hummus
Whole wheat pita bread…not multi grain (unless made with whole grains, multi grain bread has the same nutritional value as white bread. Without the whole grains, there is not as much bran and germ, therefore there isn't a lot of fiber and nutrients.)
Dark Chocolate (only if you are really craving chocolate)
Walnuts
Almonds
Boiled Eggs
Apples + Peanut Butter
Mustard instead of mayonnaise
Saladà spinach mixed in
Miso Soup
Greek Yogurt or light Activia
Spicy food fills you up
Pickles
Peanut butter (in moderation because it has a lot of fat, it is just very filling)
Canned tuna- no mayo- sub balsamic vinaigrette
Kidney Beans (beans have a lot of fiber)
Tomatoes
Fiber 1 cereal
Wheat Chex





DON’T EAT THIS
Chips
Don’t drink anything over 10g of sugar per serving
Beef/Pork/Hamburg (can have in moderation)
French Fries
Dairy (can have in moderation)
High fructose corn syrup
Corn (very sugary and starchy grain)
Mac and Cheese
Goldfish, Cheez-its, Cheese Nips
Chocolate animal crackers
Cookies
Candy
Caesar dressing-->anything white and creamy
Cheddar cheese
Muffins
Bagels
Jelly
White bread
White chocolate
Ketchup (get the natural one)
Cream cheese
Buttery Popcorn (if you need to have butter on it try lightly buttered)



* Remember that you don’t need to cut out these foods completely, just eat them once in a while and eat them in moderation. Also, this is an exclusive list- there are many other foods that are healthy and many that are unhealthy. If you want, write a comment about foods you know are unhealthy or healthy and I will consider adding them to my list.


Sometimes people eat without realizing how much they eat or how bad the foods are that they are eating. I advise everyone to read labels before eating so you know the nutrition facts. Make sure you don’t skip over the part that says “serving size” because something might seem healthy because there aren’t that many calories, but the serving size might be so small that you eat multiple servings and consume more calories than you thought. For example, say your favorite cereal says 100 calories, that seems healthy, but if the serving size is ¼ a cup and you are eating a cup or more, then that is at least 400 calories that you would be consuming without even realizing it. A good strategy to making sure this doesn’t happen is measuring out how much you eat before you eat it. This stops you from over eating and consuming multiple servings without realizing it. Some people even find it helpful to keep a food diary. This is great because it allows you to see how much food you ate, what you ate and where you went wrong. When you have this written in front of you, then you might realize that you had too many snacks throughout the day or you ate too much of one thing. If you know that information, then you can fix what you did wrong the next day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment